Diarrhea is an intestinal disease caused by various infectious agents. Viruses, bacteria and parasites can cause diarrhea. May be associated with other symptoms such as: nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and others. As a rule, the duration of the acute process does not exceed several days, however, the prolongation of the process may indicate other diseases: irritable bowel syndrome, persistent infection, celiac disease, and others.
Table of Contents
Infectious agents causing diarrhea are divided into three main groups:
- Viruses: rotavirus, norovirus, sapovirus, group E of adenoviruses.
- Bacteria: Escherichia, Shigella, Salmonella, Campylobacter, Yersinia, Clostridia and others.
- Parasites: Giardia duodenalis
In addition to infectious causes, diarrhea may develop for reasons such as:
- Medicines: antibiotics, antacids, anticancer drugs
- Lactose intolerance
- Fructose intolerance
- Surgery: Diarrhea sometimes develops after surgery on the intestines
- Chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract: irritable bowel syndrome, celiac disease, ulcerative colitis, overgrowth of small intestinal microflora and others.
- Mucus in the stool
- Blood in the stool
- Increased frequency of bowel movements
When to see a doctor?
In adults, if the duration of diarrhea exceeds 2 days and there are pronounced signs of dehydration (weakness, dizziness, low blood pressure, decreased skin elasticity, etc.), high fever (39° and above), bloody or mucous impurities in stool, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
In children, diarrhea leads to dehydration very quickly, so if the symptoms do not improve within 24 hours, it is necessary to consult a pediatrician.
Dehydration accompanied by diarrhea is life-threatening, without treatment, especially in children, the elderly, and patients with pathologies of the immune and other organ systems.
Symptoms of dehydration:
- Increased thirst
- Dry skin and mucous membranes
- Reduction or cessation of urine output
- General weakness, dizziness, fainting
- Dark color of urine
Prevention of diarrhea and intestinal infections consists in maintaining the hygiene of hands, food and drinking water. In case of diarrhea caused by medicines and other causes, it is necessary to inform the doctor and follow the recommendations
To diagnose diarrhea-causing microflora, Synevo offers laboratory tests:
|Name of the test||Category||Price||CODE||Response time (working day) **||Location of the analysis ****||Buy||hf: categories|
Antibiotics are administered as needed
The time for issuing research results is not absolute, it can change taking into account various factors
! If the information you are interested in is not enough, please contact us on the hotline - 0322800111, or write to us on our Facebook page, or firstname.lastname@example.org