Table of Contents
April is Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) Awareness Month
- There are more than 1 million cases of sexually transmitted infections worldwide every day, most of which are asymptomatic.
- Approximately 4 million new cases of sexually transmitted infections - chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis and trichomoniasis - are reported each year.
- More than 15 million people between the ages of 49 and 500 have a genital infection caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV).
- Each year, HPV infection is associated with more than 311 deaths from cervical cancer.
- STDs directly affect on sexual and reproductive health through stigmatization, infertility, cancer, and pregnancy complications and can increase the risk of HIV infection.
Talk. Test yourself. Treat it.